Question to /43 rear wheel suspension

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Re: Question to /43 rear wheel suspension

Post by martdapp » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:59 pm

Wow, what an interesting NZ 350/43 with Rearsuspension.
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi,

Seems to be a cocktail of parts. If the frame number is 543870 its a -39 bike with a NZ500 rear suspension. One can also see that the frame is not from 1943, rather some pre -41 frame, when it still has the place for the steering lock. The part number 123505 on the rear plunger is NZ500.

//Frank
Martins
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by Martins » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:39 am

I think that the frame of this motorcycle is from NZ500. No wonder that it's been assembled from different parts.
Look at the date on the front spring :)
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:44 pm

You know, during wartime they used everything that they could use, just to keep all that different bikes running. The Germans had (too) much different types of motorcycles. Almost impossible to have all the correct spareparts in the field.
I think that this bike is a wartime 'repair-solution', I saw such 'solutions' many times. My own NZ 350-1 had a NZ 500 fromtfork and BMW/Zundapp 600 frontlight.
Came in this condition from the battlefield around Aachen in autumn 1944.
You could search the correct parts, but from historic-vieuw; just let it as it is.
Martin
Last edited by martdapp on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi,

Yep, fully possible the main frame is NZ500 with a NZ350 engine, but the frame number is not a NZ500 frame, rather NZ250/350.
Could also be a NZ350 frame with a NZ500 rear frame, hard to tell from the pictures.

Hard to tell about the modifications, some can be war time, but some are postwar for sure (seems also to be IZH parts on the bike).

I have also seen many strange modifications on pre-war/war-time motorcycles both here in Finland and on motorcycles that have been imported from Eastern Europe.

One must remember that Germany was destroyed in 1945 and there was not possible to get any new parts anymore for the bikes left all over the Europe. Maybe in some countries the old dealers, or the army could have some parts on stock, but those parts were not available to everyone in every country.

Eastern Europe was under the hammer and sickle, so they could not get any parts from the west when some parts production started again, so the only possibility to keep the bikes running in the 50`s was to use your imagination and put together everything you could find.

I have a DKW SB350 which had a Jawa/CZ dynamo, Some NZ:s with home made pistons, home made crankshafts, a lot of IZH, IFA,Jawa, CZ, Pannonia, Emw parts, Lucas or Moskvitz voltage regulators, Lucas lamps, Jawa Carbs, etc. etc. People were handy back in those days :lol:
A friend of mine has a KS600 Zündapp which had a Gnome & Rôhne engine and also seen some WLA 750 Harleys which came from Eastern Europe in the 90`s, to be honest, not many American parts left on those bikes.

Attach a picture of the nice dynamo adapter for SB350. Use this (not patented, so feel free to use it) and grind down the crankshaft cone some mm and you can use a JawaCz dynamo :lol:

//Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Motorboy13
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by Motorboy13 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Hello NZ lovers!!!!! well we can not look back in time !! on this one

i must agree with all of you guys !! there is simpley no way to tell for sure an less
averything is documented or on picture!!!

But an NZ 350 with an rear suspension is just rare as can be !! and very nice to have
even if it is not 100% Original mounted from factory !!

In my prespective it is unic and comes with the NZ history as well 8) !!

Greats

Motorboy. :D :D
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:12 am

Seems that this NZ with Rear suspension has already the Bosch 130 lamp + holder
like the NZ 350-1. Also the front breakdrum is iron like the NZ 350-1.
Like to see more pictures from this NZ.
Martin