Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

SimonM
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Gearbox Oil

Post by SimonM » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi all

Can anyone reccomend a modern oil equivelant for the gearbox/clutch for a 350?

Many thanks,

Simon
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Re: Gearbox Oil

Post by martdapp » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:26 pm

Hello Simon,

makes sure that you use one without the wear-oil additives. Otherwise the clutch slips. Using normal hardware store oil in this respect is not good enough. Use Miller Oil M30.

SAE80 my opinion, is too thick. In colder temperatures, it should cause problems when switching.

Another tip: do not fill the motor housing to the "full" mark, but only as far as the teeth of the gears are in oil. This is completely sufficient for the lubrication of gears and shafts and the clutch will thank you. Disadvantages: Frequent check the oil level.

Martin
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:03 pm

martdapp wrote:Hello Simon,

makes sure that you use one without the wear-oil additives, otherwise the clutch slips. Using normal hardware store oil in this respect is not good enough. Use Miller Oil M30.

SAE80 is too thick. In colder temperatures it should cause problems when switching.

Another tip: do not fill the motor-housing to the "full" mark, but only as far as the teeth of the gears are in oil. This is completely sufficient for the lubrication of gears and shafts and the clutch will thank you. Disadvantages: Frequent check the oil level.

Martin
SimonM
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by SimonM » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:09 am

Hi Martin

I had to order some Miller Oil M30 online as non of the bike shops near me stocked it, although i did have fun explaining what and how old my NZ was!

Incidently, I have just finished putting in the new wiring loom and fitted a Powerdynamo conversion. Hopefully my NZ 350 will come to life this week!!

Regards,
Simon
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:19 pm

Succes with reanimating your NZ Simon.
Martin
DARIVS
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by DARIVS » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:56 pm

martdapp wrote:Hello Simon,

makes sure that you use one without the wear-oil additives. Otherwise the clutch slips. Using normal hardware store oil in this respect is not good enough. Use Miller Oil M30.

SAE80 my opinion, is too thick. In colder temperatures, it should cause problems when switching.

Another tip: do not fill the motor housing to the "full" mark, but only as far as the teeth of the gears are in oil. This is completely sufficient for the lubrication of gears and shafts and the clutch will thank you. Disadvantages: Frequent check the oil level.

Martin
What advantage is there to filling the motor housing to less than the full (Voll) mark?