Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

Nech
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

NZ WH Stencils colour?

Post by Nech » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:27 am

Hello friends!

As the title says - please, what would be the stencils colour over the WH 3colour camouflage scheme (DG - Rotbraun - Olivgrün). White or Black?

I've seen both variants over the internet, but don't know, which one is the proper one.

And one more question: since the motorcycle is camouflaged - was there still some regulation order regarding the white painted endings of the mudguards endings? (like on the "feldgrau" WH vehicles)

Thanks
Martin
thomas591
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NZ WH Stencils colour?

Post by thomas591 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Martin,

my GUESS is as following: As the camouflage was applied by the individual troops and not by the DKW works, the camouflage always covers the stencils. The colour of the stencils shout be black on "beige" bikes and white on dark painted bikes. The stencils were applied at the factory. The same applies to the mudgard endings, the red paint dots on the grease points and tactical signs, they were applied by the user and not by the factory.

Well this is my guess, I am open for discussions.

Regards

Thomas
Best regards - freundlichste Grüße

Thomas
Nech
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by Nech » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Thank you Thomas, it sounds very logically to me. I wanted to do it that way as it should to be done by my opinion - but the real confusion comes, when I saw a several different DKW's photographs (not only NZ's), where the Stencils (not only tactical and division signs) were applied over the camouflage.

The only explanation was the camo was painted in factory - I doubt if the motorcycles were supplied to the troops with the water decals or sjablons.
More probably not..

One example speaks for all - RT 125 (well of course IF this picture is war-time dated) with DKW logo applied over the camo :shock:

What now? :D
Nech
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by Nech » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Some more pictures from this site:

This one is not so good, but it seems to me, that the DKW water decal was again applied over the camo:

But here is one very nice and well known picture of NZ, where the DKW logo is applied over the camouflage for sure. However we can't see the tank regarding the stencils..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/farinihous ... 477593178/#/
DARIVS
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by DARIVS » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:41 am

Möglicherweise malten die Soldaten nicht die Tarnung über dem Firmenzeichen. Möglicherweise malten sie um das Firmenzeichen.

Maybe the soldiers did not paint over the DKW logo, but instead painted around it.
thomas591
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by thomas591 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:44 pm

Ok, I searched the net for information.

The HM (Heeresmitteilung Army Message) no 181 from1943 says that camouflage paint can be applied,if found necessary, by the troops.

In HV 52 from 3. Feb 1945 (HeeresVorschrift - Army Direction) for Wehrmacht paintwork. I it says:

-that manufacturers will be informed about the camouföage pattern they have to use.

-That existing "yellow" equipment should not be repainted to save material. But if necessary existing green or brown paint can be applied if necessary.

That means before the end of the war it is very unlikely that bikes were delivered ex-works in camouflage.

That means that all other bikes, specially the beige vihicles were hand painted with green and brown paint by the troops.

Regards

Thomas
Best regards - freundlichste Grüße

Thomas
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Hello Martin,
Camouflage was never delivered from the DKW-plant, it happened always afterwarts when the bikes were at the troops.
So it does not matter if it is white or black, I don't know if the troops had also this sjablons for use?
Regards,
Martin
Panama
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by Panama » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:18 pm

martdapp wrote:Hello Martin,
Camouflage was never delivered from the DKW-plant, it happened always afterwarts when the bikes were at the troops.
So it does not matter if it is white or black, I don't know if the troops had also this sjablons for use?
Regards,
Martin

Hello Martin,
yes the had, here's a picture from a kradmelder stencilling his emblem on the motorcycle fueltank.

Best regards,

Panama

martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:51 pm

Sorry friends, Battalion-emblems were avaibel for the troops on any sort of vehicle, that was never done at the dkw-plant. I meant the script on the tank and fenders, they were made at the plant. I'm not sure if the troops had the airpressure-stencils and fueltank-stencils also. I think not, because, for example, I never saw an old tank with 44-45-scripts and also never a 44-45-tank with old scripts. I saw them often on repainted/restaurated (camouflage) bikes, but never on org. camouflage tanks. 'The colour of the stencils shout be black on "beige" bikes and white on dark painted bikes'. That is not true, see the picture from a 1945-tank below.
Happy holydays, Martin
142_142_dkwnztank91_1_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by martdapp on Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wilhelm_Heidkamp
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Wilhelm_Heidkamp » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:10 pm

Nech wrote:Thank you Thomas, it sounds very logically to me. I wanted to do it that way as it should to be done by my opinion - but the real confusion comes, when I saw a several different DKW's photographs (not only NZ's), where the Stencils (not only tactical and division signs) were applied over the camouflage.

The only explanation was the camo was painted in factory - I doubt if the motorcycles were supplied to the troops with the water decals or sjablons.
More probably not..

One example speaks for all - RT 125 (well of course IF this picture is war-time dated) with DKW logo applied over the camo :shock:

What now? :D
This picture is not wartime dated, it`s a picture of a restored bike taken from a motorbuch-verlag postwar book about German wartime motorcycles.
DKW F 102 1965
DKW NZ 350-1 1945
DKW KL C100/C1 Funkwuerfel 1943
DKW GG400 Funkwuerfel