Mystery (?) marking

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

Max_Mustermann
Novize

Mystery (?) marking

Post by Max_Mustermann » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Hello to all and Happy New Year!,
I am new in this forum. I own a NZ 350/43 from November 1943 which is undergoing restoration. I have a question: the bike has the Waffenamt eagle on the frame and the dataplate, and also a controller number “269”, but I am curious to know the significance of the 3rd stamping (present on both engine and dataplate). It is some kind of eagle (not Waffenamt eagle), see my drawing. Anybody knows the significance of this marking? Is it also present on other 43s or 350-1s?

Any help would be appreciated.
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Re: Mystery (?) marking

Post by martdapp » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Hello Max,
A Happy New Year to You also.
Very interesting item, I never saw such before.
Martin
RTWOLLE
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by RTWOLLE » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi,
This is the acceptance stamp (punch) of the Heereswaffenamt HWA.
All equipment was removed by members of the HWA. At the NZ you can find this stamp on the Steuerkopf and also on the nameplate. Circled on the control head "red".
http://1.2.3.11/bmi/dkw-nz.net/forum/us ... 39_1_1.jpg
Regards
Wolfgang
IFA/DKW RT 125/RT 125n.A.
DKW NZ 350-1/ IZH 350
DKW KLM C 100/C 1/ GG 400/StL 462A
Wilhelm_Heidkamp
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Wilhelm_Heidkamp » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:01 pm

Regard my answer and the links on the German Forum. I think the older marking is of austrian, prussian oder hungarian origin and later has been canceled by the German WaA stamp on this unusual place. The WaA stamp with the number 44 should belong to the Auto Union, WaA 935 is an unknown marking, but can also be found on the original bike in the PDF document about markings on the NZ in the download section.
DKW F 102 1965
DKW NZ 350-1 1945
DKW KL C100/C1 Funkwuerfel 1943
DKW GG400 Funkwuerfel
Max_Mustermann
Novize

Post by Max_Mustermann » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks Wilhelm. One think is certain, looks like some acceptance stamp, and seems it was made before the WaA stamp. Maybe you are right, a cancelled export...?
Can other owners confirm?: no similar stamps on other period NZs?

Regards,

M.
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Does that means that the nr. 935 (WaA-Wehmachtabnahme Ambt) is the nr. for all Wehrmacht NZ's? Perhaps some-one has a list with those WaA-nr's.
Would be interesting to know were the nr. 935 stands for.
Regards,
Martin
Last edited by martdapp on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilhelm_Heidkamp
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Wilhelm_Heidkamp » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:27 pm

martdapp wrote:Does that means that the nr. 935 (WaA-Wehmachtabnahme Ambt) is the nr. for all Wehrmacht NZ's? Perhaps some-one has a list with thos WaA-nr's.
Regards,
Martin
There are lists on the internet, one is even linked in the "NZ-markings"-PDF at the download site of the forum, but as I said, WaA935 is an unknown number and can not be found on any list.
DKW F 102 1965
DKW NZ 350-1 1945
DKW KL C100/C1 Funkwuerfel 1943
DKW GG400 Funkwuerfel
Max_Mustermann
Novize

Post by Max_Mustermann » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi Wilhelm, yes I am aware of the list, thanks. It is very incomplete, unfortunately.
martdapp wrote:Does that means that the nr. 935 (WaA-Wehmachtabnahme Ambt) is the nr. for all Wehrmacht NZ's? Perhaps some-one has a list with thos WaA-nr's.
Yes, obviously WaA 935 was the Waffenamt controller number with DKW in the 1943 period.

What do other forum members have as stamps/WaA numbers on their dataplates? Pics would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

M.
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:49 pm

There is another 935 nr to see under http://www.dkw-nz.net/cms/upload/img_pd ... Z350-d.pdf unfortunatly no buildingyear is known.
Perhaps that other members could check their number, but often it is hardly to see.
Martin
Last edited by martdapp on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max_Mustermann
Novize

Post by Max_Mustermann » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:54 am

Well, from other surviving dataplates (I am discovering that very few WH DKW still keep their original daplates today!), that the unknown stamp in my bike does not appear on others of the same vintage:

Does anybody know if an october 43 could have been still delivered with the early type of fenders? My bike was found in a scrapyard in the north of France (Calais area) in the 70s. When found (in poor condition), the bike carried the early type of front fender with regitration plate mount. The previous owner swears he found it like that.

I was about to replace that fender, but now I think I'll keep it. From the mystery stamp, it is possible that this bike was made as export type to some other country (export cancelled and reissued back to the WH), and that for that reason she was actually built with that early fender type...

Impressions?
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi,
I've seen often type 43 with an old-type frontfender and flat rear-fender.
I don't know when it became regular to use only flat-fenders for this type.
The registration-plate-mount however, would indicate that your fender is much older then okt 43. At that time the registrationplate was only on the rearfender.
To my opinion Your 'late' 43 should have a flat-frontfender. I think that the original fender was broken and replaced by an older-one

What I asked for several times was never answered, at what time did the iron-beakplates and full iron handlebars/levers do their introdution. Were they used on the late type 43 also?
regards, Martin
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Martin,

My NZ 1943 is manufactured Dec-43/Jan-44 (if checking date codes on parts) and it has alloy brakeplates. About handhebels I have no idea, because the original ones were not there.

// Frank
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi Frank,
I've still a set total iron WH-levers fo the NZ 350.
All complete and nothing damaged.
Wich parts do You need more?
Martin
BLASSIC
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by BLASSIC » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Max_Mustermann wrote:Well, from other surviving dataplates (I am discovering that very few WH DKW still keep their original daplates today!), that the unknown stamp in my bike does not appear on others of the same vintage:

Does anybody know if an october 43 could have been still delivered with the early type of fenders? My bike was found in a scrapyard in the north of France (Calais area) in the 70s. When found (in poor condition), the bike carried the early type of front fender with regitration plate mount. The previous owner swears he found it like that.

I was about to replace that fender, but now I think I'll keep it. From the mystery stamp, it is possible that this bike was made as export type to some other country (export cancelled and reissued back to the WH), and that for that reason she was actually built with that early fender type...

Impressions?
This plate is MINE.....

:shock:
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Martin,

I was a bit unclear: My bike has not the factory mounted hebels anymore, but I have found a set of iron hebels, so I dont need any for the moment, but thanx anyway 8)

// Frank