Tank emblem & 6 volt gel battery

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

2roushs
Novize

Tank emblem & 6 volt gel battery

Post by 2roushs » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:17 am

Can anyone tell me the proper size of the DKW emblem for the gas tank would be for a 1941 NZ 350? Plus, I read some where that there is a 6 volt gel size battery for these bikes. Can someone tell me where the best place/vendor would be to get one of them? Thank you,,,,

Brian
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Re: Tank emblem & 6 volt gel battery

Post by Frank » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:13 am

Hi,

The size of the tank decals are 32 x 65mm. Here is a seller I really can recommend, top quality and excellent service: http://www.abziehbilderservice.de/Start.htm

// Frank
Panama
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by Panama » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:06 am

Frank wrote:Hi,

The size of the tank decals are 32 x 65mm. Here is a seller I really can recommend, top quality and excellent service: http://www.abziehbilderservice.de/Start.htm

// Frank
Hello Frank,

there are 3 types, same size 32X65MM,
do you mean with the black, silver or gold edge on the emblem?

Kind regards, Panama
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:46 am

Hi Panama,

Im not sure if they have used all the 3 different colours on NZ tanks. In the Members section of this forum Thomas has a picture of an NOS war time fuel tank and there the decals seems to be with silver edge. Would be nice to know if someone has seen other edge colours than silver on NZ fuel tanks.

Notice that Katrin also has the correct "Knecht" water decal for the the mesh type of air cleaner used on NZ 1938-43.

// Frank
matthias.koch
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by matthias.koch » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:18 pm

2roushs wrote: Plus, I read some where that there is a 6 volt gel size battery for these bikes. Can someone tell me where the best place/vendor would be to get one of them? Thank you,,,,

Brian
All gell batteries are self made. You take the original case of an old Battery (they are available empty, I can point you to a source if you like) and put in modern gel blocks (3*2V) The capacity is of course lower, about 4-5Ah, but it should be enough as nor electric starter has to be powered. I think there are complete sets available, but I have to look that up.
I have no experiences with these self made batteries. The capacity should be Ok but I don't know if the old voltage regulators are accurate enough for the gel batteries.

Matthias
2roushs
Novize

Post by 2roushs » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Frank & Panama- honestly I really don't know what color border it should be for my bike. Right now the bike is black with the white pinstripes. I can see areas of tan paint under the many layers of paint and I want to get the right DWW decal for the tank. Someone simply tried to paint the emblem on the tank and on the front cover where the speedo sits covering the front suspension spring. Should there be one in that location too? Just getting into this stuff and want to make things correct. This bike a 1941 model and plan on doing a ground-up restoration on this bike once I return back to the states. Currently stationed in Germany.

Matthias- Thank you for this info. Someone put a standard 6V lawnmower battery in it, and the original battery tray is missing. I plan on ordering a repro from oldtimer, and have seen several 6V gell batteries on German ebay. I just want to make sure that I get the right size for it, even though it wouldn't be right. Anything is better than what I have right now. Thanks,,,

Brian
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi,
According to my understanding 1941 there were both civilian and army bikes produced and the civilian production ended in 1941. Is there any WaA stamp to see on the frame? http://www.dkw-nz.net/cms/upload/img_pd ... 0NZ350.pdf

I have never seen any original civilian tank decals so I have no idea, Try to ask Thomas if he has some images from the brand new NZ 250 shown at some exhibition in Germany where the tank decals can be seen.

The cover over the front spring shall not have any decal, there shhould be a emailed metal badge: gallery/image_page.php?image_id=94

// Frank
2roushs
Novize

Post by 2roushs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:50 am

Frank,

Thank you for the info. There is just so much paint on this bike, that I cannot see anything at this time for the WaA marking. For what is said on the history of this site, it says that the Bikes from serial number 595200 on were made for the Wermacht. My bikes serial numer is 597483, so honestly I think that this bike is a army issue since I can see tan paint in variuos areas under the black chipped paint. Someone over time did a cheap paint job on this bike and wanted it to be like a civilian version.

Would love to strip the paint off on this area, but are going to wait till I get it back to the states. Plus, I swear that there is a bullet hole on the bottom front of the motor. It is not effecting the structure of the motor and not leaking any kind of fluid.

The front cover again is painted on just like a civilian bike. So would a army issue bike have the same type of cover emblem as the civilian version?
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:40 am

Hi again,

Older army bikes had the emblem and according to the last army parts manual from 1944 there shall be an emblem, but when looking att old fotos i have not seen any late 1943 on, bike with the emblem, or with the cover at all.

The parts manuals are not the absolute truth, there are orginal bikes with parts fitted that the manuals not show and also parts that the manuals shows, but never was fitted.

Most of the periodical photos are taken in a such angle that its difficult to see if there is an emblem or not. Its also hard to tell from many of the photos which of the bikes are civilian bikes painted in army colours and which of them has been army bikes from the beginning, especially on 1938-43 bikes that all look quite similar with only small differences in some details

The cover itself is quite weak and very often there can be seen cracks on it around the big fastening nut, so its also possible that they just broke on the bad roads and were thrown away.

Can you please post a image of the bullet hole, should be nice to see?

//Frank
DARIVS
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by DARIVS » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:54 am

I placed two 6V sealed batteries within the bakelite case of the original lead-acid battery, and my NZ 350-1 has no problems. The battery appears original on the outside.
Last edited by DARIVS on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
2roushs
Novize

Post by 2roushs » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:33 am

Darvis,

Do you know where I would be able to find on of these original glass cased batteries?

Frank,

Thanks for all of this info. I will upload some pictures of my bike along with the bullet hole here shortly.

Brian
DARIVS
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by DARIVS » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:45 am

I do not know where to get the battery case. I used the outside shell of my original battery that came with my NZ 350-1. Bosch made the battery many years ago. If you can get a correct lead-acid battery, and use it until it is no longer any good, save the old battery and make a case out of it. Then insert two smaller sealed batteries inside the old battery casing. I got the two new batteries from "Batteries Plus" store. Use two of these batteries wired in series:

http://www.batteryspace.com/sealedleada ... 45ahs.aspx
2roushs
Novize

Post by 2roushs » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:08 am

Well since I have to buy a reproduction battery tray from oldtimer, due to mine being gone, can someone tell me the proper size of the battery to fit this correctly?

I want to get this bike back to the correct/original condition it was back in the day.

Thanks,,,,,

Brian
DARIVS
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by DARIVS » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:49 pm

The Bosch battery can be purchased at www.blitzbikes.com:

http://www.blitzbikes.com/id24.htm

This is the same 6V battery that fits my NZ 350-1. The casing has a lid to cover the terminals. When this battery dies, you can remove all the internal parts andclean out the case and insert two smaller sealed 6V batteries.