Original paint NZ350-1

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

Laurensbarendregt
Novize

Original paint NZ350-1

Post by Laurensbarendregt » Wed May 28, 2014 6:53 pm

I hope someone can give me some info about removing paint from my NZ350-1 which clearly has original paint under the current coating. On this forum I have read about using thinner and also oven cleaner?

It would be great to hear whats the best way and how to do so, to get the best result in recovering the original colour.
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Re: Original paint NZ350-1

Post by Frank » Wed May 28, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi,

Dont use any kinds of solvents, apint removers, brake fluid, thinner, brake cleaner or other chemicals!!

Just for fun, I have tested different chemicals on parts with original Wehrmacht paint and the colour will not withstand any chemicals, even hot water 70-80°C will strip the original paint (tested in a workshop parts washing mashine, with only clean water).

The original paint is some kind of oil based 1-K paint and almost all other types of paints will withstand more than this.

In my opinion, the only way to remove later layers of paint is in a mechanical way very very carefully, with razor blades, plastic/rubber scrapers, knives etc. A time consuming work fore for sure and depends a lot of the type of paint used.

Could also be worth trying a high pressure washere, but be careful and preferable test the methods first on some non-visible part before testing on tank, fenders, wheels etc.

//Frank