A couple things...

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

Paul
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

A couple things...

Post by Paul » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:48 am

So I have been getting back into my DKW after taking quite a while off focusing on other projects. I was reading through some posts and I'm trying to determine if what I have below has been figured out and finally been agreed upon or are still up for contention.

1) NZ-1 tanks did come from the factory with male type flange, with the threads on the outside. It was initially said that that they only came with female type, threads on the inside flange from the tank, and the outside was only IZH tanks. Due to this then the DKW NZ-1 tanks need a special nut would be used to connect both tank and fuel tap together.

2)The NZ-1 front brake drum brake was ribbed and not smooth, also different than originally posted. If I understand very early model IZHs were exactly like the late model NZ-1s. IZHs also have ribbed type front brake drums. So it has been determined that NZ-1 brake drums did come ribbed.

Just seeing of I'm on the right track.

Thanks...Paul
Paul

1945 DKW NZ 350-1
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Re: A couple things...

Post by martdapp » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:45 am

You're right Paul,
The early IZH 350-47 was 98% the same as the NZ 350-1. The very early versions even had the German ET-nr's (sparepart-nr's) on the parts, together with the Auto-Union-rings. No wonder, the parts came from the same old German machines. Only the headlight (old German BMW-Zundapp-version) and the same engine (now Alluminium) where used on this early type IZH. Even the 'Spritz-can' was still mounted. The manual from the IZH-49 shows the same ET-nr's as the earlier NZ 350-1 and the pictures showed also 'German-boots' on the kickstarter. The Russians took the most of the personal together with the whole plant to Russia.
The early IZH-ET-list is interesting because a NZ-350-1 sparepart-list was never found.
Martin