Moderator: Mods

Motorboy13
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Feultap / Benzinhahn DKW NZ ??

Post by Motorboy13 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:18 pm

]Hello DKW NZ people.

i have an question.

is an Everbest Feultap / Benzinehahn (like in picture) that was also mounted on Zundapp & BMW from 38-45. also mounted on the DKW NZ type's and if so is that for al models from 38-45 ??

Like to here from you.

Greatings

Motorboy

Look in this link ;

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 2-306-4792
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Re: Feultap / Benzinhahn DKW NZ ??

Post by Frank » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi Raimond,

This type was used on the 350-1. It fits on the earlier models also, but according to the parts manuals it was not factory mounted.
The fuel taps used on the earlier NZ 350 (1938-43), were made my Metric and MZAG.

//Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Motorboy13
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by Motorboy13 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Thanks frank !! Again for your support.
So if I am Wright the everbest feultap is never mounted on the NZ.
Aldo it fits ok it is not correct. I have an other feultap that does not look like the one's in the picture, but should be an correct one to for the nz. Is that posible?
Greats From the netherlands.
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:43 pm

The DKW-NZ used also this Everbest fueltap, even as a simular AW fueltap.
However the fueltap as shown would not fit on a NZ 350-1
The NZ 350-1 had a fueltap with contra-nut 16 x 1 (mail)
The earlier used fueltaps until 1943 had 14 x 1,5 (female)
Martin
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:04 pm

Those three types of fuel taps shown on my pictures(MZAG and Metric) are those which can be found in the factory manuals for the NZ350. If they also used other types I have no idea, never seen other types in the manuals.

Regarding the 350-1 fuel tap threads, there has been so much discussion about this during the years and I am nut sure what is the absolute truth about this?
Were there only the model with the contra-nut, or also the older type of thread (same as NZ350) used on these?

//Frank
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:27 pm

The manuals are not always 100%.
You can find parts who never where found on actual Nz's.
There are even more fuel cocks used for the NZ.
There was also KARCO and the last model was the ALNO for the NZ 350-1
The ALNO was made from bad aluminium and there are not many left.
Very diffecult to find in good condition.
I have seen a hundert fueltanks for the NZ last 15 years.
The NZ 350-1 tanks had ONLY mail fueltap mounting.
So all NZ 350-1 Fuel taps must have the contra screw 16 x 1.

In pictures; The Alno (not complete)
The AW, filter marked D.R.P. (Deutsches Reichs Patent)
The Everbest

PS. Brass/chromed fueltaps where not used during wartime to my opinion.

Martin
Alno1.jpg
DSC07373.JPG
Benzinhahn Everbest.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:56 pm

Yep, I agree that the manuals are not 100%, but comparing the manuals and war time pictures you will get a quite clear view of the parts used.

The NZ350-1 is more difficult, because there are no parts manual and many of the bikes has been mixed up with wrong parts during the years and many of them are more IZH than DKW nowadays.

If we talk about NZ350 and NZ500, the most common fuel tap used on them seems to be the Metric (according to old pictures), which was made of some zinc casting. Those taps are quite fragile and often when found, they have cracks, or are broken.

The both types of MZAG brass taps were used on pre war and early war bikes and I agree with you Martin that they were probably not used anymore at the late war, even if they are in the manuals from 1944, due to the rather expensive materials (some of the MZAG taps seems to be chrome plated, but some of them have some other plating, which is much more satin finish than chrome).

The MZAG on my 350/1943 is a temporary solution, because the Metric started to leak(cracked), so I will change it as soon as I find a good Metric.

The NZ250 used these earlier mentioned taps + also on some early bikes the twin-slide MZAG tap used on some SB/KS models.
Also the brass tap of the type on the picture below were used (this model tap can also be seen on the nice pictures from Thomas of the brand new NZ250 in the NZ 250 section of the forum).

The Alno is very difficult to find due to the very bad zinc cast used on them. I remember very early IFA also used this Alno fuel taps.

I think the Everbest in your picture is from the 50´s, because of the plate holding the lever in place. Those taps can be find on a lot of bikes from the 50´s. Earlier versions had the lever attached with two screws, see pictures.

Maybe a little off-topic, but many people gets fooled by the acronyms D.R.G.M (Deutsches Reichsgebrauchsmuster)and D.R.P. (Deutches Reichspatent) They have nothing to do with The Third Reich, the D.R.G.M markings were used from 1891 and D.R.P from 1877, in some cases until autumn 1952.

//Frank
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:32 pm

Frank wrote:Yep, I agree that the manuals are not 100%, but comparing the manuals and war time pictures you will get a quite clear view of the parts used.

The NZ350-1 is more difficult, because there are no parts manual and many of the bikes has been mixed up with wrong parts during the years and many of them are more IZH than DKW nowadays.

If we talk about NZ350 and NZ500, the most common fuel tap used on them seems to be the Metric (according to old pictures), which was made of some zinc casting. Those taps are quite fragile and often when found, they have cracks, or are broken.

The both types of MZAG brass taps were used on pre war and early war bikes and I agree with you Martin that they were probably not used anymore at the late war, even if they are in the manuals from 1944, due to the rather expensive materials (some of the MZAG taps seems to be chrome plated, but some of them have some other plating, which is much more satin finish than chrome).

The MZAG on my 350/1943 is a temporary solution, because the Metric started to leak(cracked), so I will change it as soon as I find a good Metric.

The NZ250 used these earlier mentioned taps + also on some early bikes the twin-slide MZAG tap used on some SB/KS models.
Also the brass tap of the type on the picture below were used (this model tap can also be seen on the nice pictures from Thomas of the brand new NZ250 in the NZ 250 section of the forum).

The Alno is very difficult to find due to the very bad zinc cast used on them. I remember very early IFA also used this Alno fuel taps.

I think the Everbest in your picture is from the 50´s, because of the plate holding the lever in place. Those taps can be find on a lot of bikes from the 50´s. Earlier versions had the lever attached with two screws, see pictures.

Maybe a little off-topic, but many people gets fooled by the acronyms D.R.G.M (Deutsches Reichsgebrauchsmuster)and D.R.P. (Deutches Reichspatent) They have nothing to do with The Third Reich, the D.R.G.M markings were used from 1891 and D.R.P from 1877, in some cases until autumn 1952.

//Frank
Hi Frank,

You're right in the whole story.
The picture from the everbest-tap, I took from the NZ-site because I couldn't find another sample at that short time.

DRGM and DRP has nothing to do with the third Reich. But Germany wasn't a Reich anymore after the war. It looks plausible that the markings however where used till years after the war.

Martin
Last edited by martdapp on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motorboy13
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by Motorboy13 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:32 pm

Hello Frank , & Martin , thanks for the details on this one too!!!

so if my Other oe Feultap/benzinhahn is not working OK , this everbest could be
an good option too !! for my NZ350 (1939) aldo it is not an toal Original DKW part!

I think that back in the 40-45's they would use anything what would work fine!!
if the DKW part was not in stock ,i would use other parts too!! to keep the Bikes on the road!!

That is an logic way even for the Germans back then!!!

later on in the war more simple parts were used , parts from other bike/car brands used ( as well! if could be fitted , and to lower the cost !! (and also a shortness of good materials)

Greats from The Netherlands!! =D> =D>
thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by thunderbolt » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:03 am

Hi all,

If it helps this is the fuel tap on my 1939 350NZ. I believe it's original - and it's leaking again! (problem is, so does my Amal carb, so unless I disconnect the fuel line my garage stinks to high heaven of petrol in the morning!) :x

cheers,

Chris
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi Chris,

this is the Metrix-tap.
I think that the brass (evr. plated) MZAG-taps where used on the civil NZ's and earlier SB's

I know the problem, think your tap need new cork.
I don't know if new corks for this tap are available, perhaps that Greiner has them.
Otherwise you have to make them yourself.

Tip, lay the tap with mounted new cork for a few days in a closed pot with petrol.
The cork will swell and the tap should be tide in position 'ZU'.

Regards,
Martin
aaa14.jpg
aaa15.jpg
Martins
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by Martins » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:54 am

Hi,

Interesting info about fuel taps !

I have Metric benzinhahn, but it's in very bad shape :(

Also got this type of Everbest, some say it's from Zundapp K350/K500 (1935/36)

Any ideas ?

Regards

Martins
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi,

It looks like brass, isn't it?
Nice tap, but I don't know for which motorcycle.
On the NZ, I mostly saw the mor modern zink/alu. Everbest- and AW-taps.

As said before, to my opinion there where no brass-taps produced
during the war.
Even Aluminium parts where more and more changed for iron parts.

Regards,
Martin
Martins
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by Martins » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:16 pm

Yes, it's made from brass with nickel plating.
The lever is missing, suppose it was made from steel (became too rusty and broke off). There is another picture of this Everbest benzinhan (for sale in ebay), still the lever is missing.

Maybe someone have a picture of this tap in good condition ?

Regards,

Martins
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:34 pm

I see now that this tap has a contra-nut, so for mail-mounting on the tank.
The DKW-NZ became mail-mounting in 1944 with the new tank-model for the NZ 350-1. Mounting was 16x1.
DKW NZ untill 1943 had female mounting 14x1,5.

See; http://www.siteadvisor.com/restricted.h ... er=6.2.0.0