Negative battery cable.

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

svenn
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Negative battery cable.

Post by svenn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:40 am

Where does the negative ground cable from the battery go?
I believe it goes directly to some grounding point of some sort, not to the Spulenkasten. But where? A picture anyone?

I bought a wiring harness on ebay :? , where the negative battery wire goes directly to the junction marked "M" on the Spulenkasten SP12-R. I do not believe this is correct?

The harness also had five wires going from the LIMA to the Spulenkasten? According to the original diagram it should be only four? The vendour claims there have been no troubles before selling this type for NZ bikes.

Do I have the wrong harness, or am I misunderstanding something here?

A quick reply would be great, so I can return the harness if I have to.

Thanks

Svenn
svenn
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by svenn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:31 am

I have studied the partslist and the workshop manual. For me it seems that there were no complete wiring harnesses issued with the NZ bikes. But there where severel single and multi wire cables on the bike. Can anyone confirm? Or were there complete harnesses on the bike?

On page 158 in the workshop manual, NZ 250/350 diagram is mixed up with the NZ500 diagram :o :shock:

Svenn
Rob Hickmott
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by Rob Hickmott » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:37 pm

Hello Svenn,
I belive the earth connection from the battery goes to a M5 threaded hole, just behind the front of the chainguard.

As far as the loom is concerned I belive you are right, The parts books call for odd pieces of wire 2-3-4 ect. covered in cotton braided covering.

You can make a very good replica loom from heat shrinkable fabric tubing, it is available from RS Components here in the UK, I think they have shops throughout Europe.
Thanks
Rob
svenn
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by svenn » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:56 am

Thanks Rob. Interresting issue these wires.

I have tried to understand the diagram in the workshop manual, showing the different mulitwire looms. From what I can make out there must be a lot of single wires on an original bike.

The partslist #58 containsd wires, as part #03239 in Tafel 30, that don't appear on the diagram in the workshop manual on page 158. Part #03239 is a 800 mm long 3-core wire for Abblendung and Tacho light. :idea:

The workshop manual shows tacholight as single wire, and the only 3-core wire goes from the Spulenkasten to the light switch on the tank :?: :?:

Can someone shed a light on the purpose of these wires:

1: #03239, 3 core, 800millimeters long, shown on Tafel 30
2: #03240, single, black wire, 1685 millimeters long.
3: #122954-0 negative battery cable- lenght, thickness and colour?
4: #122953, positive battery cable- lenght?
5: Where are the other cables on the bike hidden in the partslist #58?

Svenn
r.rocchelli
Novize

Re: Negative battery cable.

Post by r.rocchelli » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:10 pm

Dear Svenn Me too i'm restoring my 350 NZ
I both on Ebay the harness.
In the NZ 350 4 cables are from Lima to spulekasten , in the harness you find 5 because the same is sold also for 500NZ with 2 cilinders and 2 brakers.
For the ground i'll use one contact in the case of the motor just in front of the battery in the right side (side of the lima)
Regards
Rino
svenn wrote:Where does the negative ground cable from the battery go?
I believe it goes directly to some grounding point of some sort, not to the Spulenkasten. But where? A picture anyone?

I bought a wiring harness on ebay :? , where the negative battery wire goes directly to the junction marked "M" on the Spulenkasten SP12-R. I do not believe this is correct?

The harness also had five wires going from the LIMA to the Spulenkasten? According to the original diagram it should be only four? The vendour claims there have been no troubles before selling this type for NZ bikes.

Do I have the wrong harness, or am I misunderstanding something here?

A quick reply would be great, so I can return the harness if I have to.

Thanks

Svenn
svenn
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by svenn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:49 pm

Hi Rochelli!

The main problem is not the engine wire harness, but the main wire harness is far from correct. There is a cable going directly from the battery negative to the ign-box junction "M". No such cabel is shown on the original scheme.

And there are no cables going to the horn and dimmer switch. Only three going directly to the lamp.

What surprivces me is that the paper from the manufacturer claims its for a NZ350/250/500. No way. I will take som pics and post.

The seller has kindly said that I may return it, so no problems there.

Anyway,, after studying the parts manual and rep-manual, I am beginning to wonder if there were any complete harnesses issued at all.

If you look at the picture on page 126 in the rep-manual, one can see several single wires coming down from the steering wheel. Perhaps Thomas would be so kind posting this picture?

Svenn
r.rocchelli
Novize

Post by r.rocchelli » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:37 pm

Maybe there is a big mistake , my harness from Omega runs except 1 cable more in the engine wire harness.
It is true in the list of spare parts the harness is done by many wires or couples of wires...the haness you can find as a repro is more "organised".
It is true there is no drawings explaining where to attach the cables to the frame or steer, in the pictures is difficult to understand...probably i made also some mistakes and i used plastic strips , not original metal strips to tight the harness.
some pics are well accepted
Regards Rino
svenn wrote:Hi Rochelli!

The main problem is not the engine wire harness, but the main wire harness is far from correct. There is a cable going directly from the battery negative to the ign-box junction "M". No such cabel is shown on the original scheme.

And there are no cables going to the horn and dimmer switch. Only three going directly to the lamp.

What surprivces me is that the paper from the manufacturer claims its for a NZ350/250/500. No way. I will take som pics and post.

The seller has kindly said that I may return it, so no problems there.

Anyway,, after studying the parts manual and rep-manual, I am beginning to wonder if there were any complete harnesses issued at all.

If you look at the picture on page 126 in the rep-manual, one can see several single wires coming down from the steering wheel. Perhaps Thomas would be so kind posting this picture?

Svenn