Powerdynamo for aluminium engine nz350

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

Mann712
Novize

Powerdynamo for aluminium engine nz350

Post by Mann712 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi guys, help needed. I dismantled my 1943 nz350 in 2012 and purchased the parts needed for a rebuild. I have just finished the rebuild and fitted a 'powerdynamo' 12v electronic ignition purchased in 2013, but I cannot get the new flywheel to tighten down on the crankshaft. I have removed the woodruff key as per the instructions. How do you hold the crankshaft at 4mm BTDC and tighten down the flywheel at the same time. The flywheel fits over the stator and is drawn on with the aid of the magnets , but tightening the supplied bolt the flywheel and/ or the crankshaft moves? The flywheel even after striking with a block of wood and hammer will not grip the crankshaft and it just spins?
What am I missing in the fitting issue
Timo Mann
Dirk
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Re: Powerdynamo for aluminium engine nz350

Post by Dirk » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:47 pm

Hello timo,

If you put the gear into the 3th or 4th speed It will hardly move!
Otherwise you can grab hold onto the crankshaft with a wrench as I did.
To fasten the bolt to the crankshaft we used a pneumatic drill from the workshop!
3th time we had it right and the timing wasen't offset, we set the time a little bit off so when we screwed it together it was right on the time we wanted:)

Good luck!

Regards, Dirk
Mann712
Novize

Re: Powerdynamo for aluminium engine nz350

Post by Mann712 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Dirk thanks for your reply when you say you held the crankshaft with a wrench did you remove the clutch cover and then hold the crankshaft on the opposite side to the flywheel?
Thanks mate
Timo