Newby questions

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

Raytheman
Novize

Newby questions

Post by Raytheman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:36 am

Dear dkw-enthousiasts,
A friend of mine bought a pre war 350 in parts. What would be the best way to place the crankshaft? It is separated from the rest ofthe motor and its a tight fit. I d oknt want to damage the new bearings. Should it be pressed in?
Thanks in advance!
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Re: Newby questions

Post by Frank » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:23 am

Hi,

I am not sure if I understood the question right, but I try to answer. The main bearings are mounted to the engine blocks by hand, just heat the aluminium engine blocks to 100-150°C and the bearings will "fall" into the block and after cooling down they are tight.

The crankshaft is only tight to the left side engine block where the axial bearing (ball bearing) are situated. After mounting the bearings and oil seal to the the left engine block the crankshaft needs to be pulled through the bearings with a special tool. No hammering, pressing etc. are allowed, such methods will destroy the crankshaft.

The special tool for pulling the crank is easy to manufacture, just a short tube with a bit larger inner diameter than the crank, a threaded M10 rod, a M10 nut and a washer.

Mount the crank into the block by hand, thread the rod into the crank on the drive side, mount the tube, washer and nut and start to tighten the crank through the bearings (put grease on the crank oil seal and be careful to not damage the sealing lip, if you want to be extra sure to not damage the seal, turn a small conical sleeve to mount on the crank during the assembly).

//Frank
Raytheman
Novize

Post by Raytheman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:31 am

Dear Frank,
You understood well. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very, very much!

Kind regards from Holland,
Ray
Motorboy13
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by Motorboy13 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:23 pm

He Frank that's technical awnser !!!!may be a great topic for the new Forum , may be you can put this on Film!!
that would be great for the future NZ ownsers !!!!

Just an ID for the new Forum , that is in the make!!!

gretas

Raimond
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Hi Raimond,

Should be possible, but it will take some time.

For the moment I am working with a friend´s SB500 engine and one of my own NZ500 engines, but when I start to restore my NZ350 engine from 1941, I could try to make some film clips. I can´t tell you exactly when it will be, so don´t expect anything already this year :lol:

//Frank