Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

svenn
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Timing issue?

Post by svenn » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:01 am

Hello again!

After a few testruns and some adjustments, I still have a problem with my engine.

It starts easily, and accellerates smoothly first, but when having accellerated a bit it starts to sputter and does not run smooth. Could it be the capacitor? I have not replaced it.

First I thought timing was to much in advance, but after trying setting is at low as I can it still has the same sympthoms.

Any help apriciated.

Svenn
mdunn
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Re: Timing issue?

Post by mdunn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:10 pm

svenn wrote:Hello again!

After a few testruns and some adjustments, I still have a problem with my engine.

It starts easily, and accellerates smoothly first, but when having accellerated a bit it starts to sputter and does not run smooth. Could it be the capacitor? I have not replaced it.

First I thought timing was to much in advance, but after trying setting is at low as I can it still has the same sympthoms.

Any help apriciated.

Svenn
Have you thought much about the air fuel mixture screw?

Mike
svenn
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by svenn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:37 am

Hello. I have cleaned the carb, set it to factory adjustment- and also tried to adjust the air/fuel screw while running. No luck.

The sympthoms are still - when accellerating it does not run smoothly- but "puffs" and kind of stalls.

I have set timing as high as possible and as low as possible, but engine runs the same.

I have a feeling it is the capacitor- but just wondering if anyone has had the same sympthoms due to it.

Svenn
Wilhelm_Heidkamp
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Wilhelm_Heidkamp » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:39 am

Same as I wrote in the german forum for my NZ. I think this is either the capacitor or the ignition contact. On my DKW car were the contacts piled and did no more open to the full width, the engine was sputtering and one of the three cylinders not igniting, the machine went out after a few seconds. After changing the contacts all problems were gone. I posted the website of an ignition contact seller in the german forum:

http://www.zuendkontakte.de

here you can get cheap NOS ignition contacts for the NZ and other bikes. They even got capacitors but i don´t know if they got the right one. I found them selling the contacts on a historic car meet in Luebeck, they had the ones for the NZ carried with them and I bought them for 15 Euros, NOS parts, not new ones. I haven´t mounted them yet on my NZ due to lack of time, but then I will find out if they are the problem.

I have found no site selling the capacitor, does anyone know the capacity of the original?

It´s even a possibility to use a capacitor from DKW cars I think, on the
site

http://www.mobilitaeten.de

you find used and new ones for 6 up to 18 Euros.

But as I said, the capacity would be interesting.
DKW F 102 1965
DKW NZ 350-1 1945
DKW KL C100/C1 Funkwuerfel 1943
DKW GG400 Funkwuerfel
svenn
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by svenn » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:41 pm

Thanks for the reply Wilhelm.

I have ordered a new U-contact and capacitor from Stemmler. They claimed the parts were in stock. If the capacitor says anything about the capacity I will post it here.

Svenn
Wilhelm_Heidkamp
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Wilhelm_Heidkamp » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:38 pm

I found a capacitor with an identic look in the Ernst Weisswange Katalogue for the RT 125... don´t know if it would fit the NZ, but it has the same Rimp on the upper half as the original. Have you fixed the new parts? Does your NZ work now?
DKW F 102 1965
DKW NZ 350-1 1945
DKW KL C100/C1 Funkwuerfel 1943
DKW GG400 Funkwuerfel
svenn
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by svenn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:17 am

Hi again Wilhelm-

I have ordered the parts, and will give it a try when I receive them.

Svenn