Ignition light...

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

svenn
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Ignition light...

Post by svenn » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:25 pm

It happended first time today- the ingition light went black when the engine started - before it always have stayed lit.

From what I read in the manual- the light should turn off- as indication that charging is ok, and stay lit for telling no charging.

Have I understood it correct??

Svenn
mdunn
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Re: Ignition light...

Post by mdunn » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:13 pm

svenn wrote:It happended first time today- the ingition light went black when the engine started - before it always have stayed lit.

From what I read in the manual- the light should turn off- as indication that charging is ok, and stay lit for telling no charging.

Have I understood it correct??

Svenn
From my understanding on all bikes with a charge light you are correct. When the generator is charging, the light should go out.
Mike Dunn
Vintage German Motorcycles
www.vintagegermanmotorcycles.com
svenn
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by svenn » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:22 pm

Thanks! My father said the same thing, since his old IFA was like this.

Funny how it suddenly went ok! Could it have something with the battery not being fully charged, or will the light always go black whenever the generator is supplying power? Most likely the last I presume.

Svenn
thomas591
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by thomas591 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi Svenn,

the principle of the charge lamp is quite simple. It works like this:

Generally: A lamp is glowing when it is connected to positive and ground.

On the DKW NZ: The charge lamp is connected on one side to the battery positive and on the other side to the dynamo.

1. Situation: Ignition on. Engine stopped
The lamp is on :idea:, as it is connected to battery positive and, as the dynamo is not charging, the dynamo side acts as "ground".

2. Situation: Engine running, dynamo charging.
The lamp is off, because it receive positive from the battery plus it receives positive from the charging dynamo side. Therefore the lamp has no "ground".

3. Situation: Engine running, dynamo not charging '[-('.
The lamp is on :idea:. Electrical situation as in situation 1.

Situation on your bike.
My guess is that the wiring on your bike had/has some bad connections, because before the dynamo was not charging or the charge lamp was not properly connected. Maybe a broken wire, a coroded contact or maybe the main fuse was not properly connected.

Hope the above helps.

Best regards

Thomas
svenn
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by svenn » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:25 pm

Thanks Thomas. That really helped, makes it easy to understand the setup.

Could it be that the new brushes on my genny needed som "worn-in"? I have only runned the engine 5-10 minutes since I replaced them.

All wiring is new..

The lamp did change in brightness when accelerating earlier..making me believe it indicated charging.. So makes me wonder if it could have been the brushes.

Still learning... :D

Svenn
thomas591
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by thomas591 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi Svenn,

yes that might be the solution. If the brushes do not correspond correctly with the commutator, the resistance is to high. This might explain why the lamp changed its brightness.

Beste regards

Thomas
torfjo
Novize

No charging

Post by torfjo » Mon May 25, 2009 8:24 pm

Hello
I have the opposite problem on my NZ.
Earlier the ignition lamp always went off when the engine started.
Recetly it starded not to.
There is absolutely no charging at all :cry:
I have checket almost all wire connections but cannot find any faults.
Any tips on what to do?
Is it possible to install a modern replacement regulator?
Is it possible that my generator suddenly have died?

Tore[

quote="thomas591"]Hi Svenn,

yes that might be the solution. If the brushes do not correspond correctly with the commutator, the resistance is to high. This might explain why the lamp changed its brightness.

Beste regards

Thomas[/quote]
thomas591
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by thomas591 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:14 pm

HI,

have you removed the dynamo-flywheel? You should check the brushes and that all connections are OK behind the flywheel. If the brushes are used down to ½ of their original length, they should be replaced. The pressure of the spring of the brushes is not sufficient to press the brushes against the commutator when they are more than half used.

To check the regulator: Connect a wire between 1 + 20 in the regulator box with the engine running. If the controllamp goes out, the regulator is damaged.

To check the dynamo: As above but first remove the regulator cartridges. Connect a voltmeter between ground and 1 or 20 (which are interconnect with a wire) and check if the Voltmeter shows a reading –if not, the dynamo has a problem.

Regards

Thomas