350NZ kickstarter

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

350NZ kickstarter

Post by thunderbolt » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:45 pm

My kick starter has been 'jumping' and 'jamming', so recently I have to jump start the bike, not easy with a sidecar! Took the casing off today and notice the first two teeth on the segment are broken. Can the segment be reversed, or will I have to replace the whole thing?

thanks, Chris
broken teeth on kickstarter segment.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Re: 350NZ kickstarter

Post by thunderbolt » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:53 am

Does anyone have a kickstarter segment part number 122228-0?
I have tried the usual suppliers but no luck.
Thanks Chris
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi Chris,

Nice to see the forum is cleaned from all spam crap, Thanks to mods!

Its not possible to reverse the segment because its not symmetric. The two first teeth shall have a different shape, than the other ones on a new segment, they are lower and have a bit different shape.
I attach pictures of a NOS DKW segment.

It is almost impossible to find good DKW segments, so I think you have two alternatives:

- Weld and grind the damaged teeth on your original segment and it will work fine again.

- Buy a new russian segment on ebay (no idea about the quality):

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_odkw=dk ... acat=32098

Note! Whatever you do with your segment, pls,. check the condition of the kickstarter gear behind the clutch basket, so you dont destroy your new or repaired segment.

//Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by thunderbolt » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi Frank,
thank you for your valuable advice again! I've had a look at the 'Russian' segment on eBay, judging by the photos it is just a rough cast copy, so I will try to rebuild my original segment as you suggest.

By the way, is the IZH 350 the Soviet DKW copy after they took the factory to Russia post 1945?

Here is a recent photo of my bike, now marked as the 352 Infanterie-Division, one of the German divisions who defended the Normandy beaches in 1944. Also I discovered
352nd markings (2).jpg
352nd markings (2).jpg
352nd markings (2).jpg
that the sidecar is a French "Simard", built in Lyon in 1933, so it is older than the bike!

hope you are keeping well, all best, Chris
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you!

Your bike looks great =D> with the markings! Even if the sidecar is older than the bike, it looks nice and seems to be of correct size for the bike.

I think its wrong to say IZH is a copy of DKW, because after the russians robbed the whole factory from Germany, they started the manufacture bikes again with the same machines and tools and even some DKW workers were forced to move to the workers paradise and the first bikes where manufactured by using parts robbed from the DKW factory stock. In my opinion the IZH is not a copy, rather the next step of DKW NZ.

Early IZH was very similar to the last DKW`s, but later on there came more differences, but many parts from even 50`s IZH fits on DKW.
The quality of the russian parts were far from genuine DKW, but of course better than nothing. Now much of the new IZH parts sold on the web are some far east crap, with even worse quality than the original russian parts :lol:

If the sprocket behind the clutch basket is kaputt, I may have a ok one for you. Notice that the nut holding the clutch centre (inside the clutch basket) is "wrong way" threaded (Left).

// Frank
thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by thunderbolt » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks for the reminder about the LH thread :D

I hope to find time to remove the clutch this week and will indeed check the starter sprocket.

all best, Chris
thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by thunderbolt » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:43 pm

My primary chain has 20mm play, the manual states replace the chain if more than 15 mm of play. Can anyone recommend a good source of supply for new chain?
Thanks Chris
andy85th
Novize

Post by andy85th » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:00 pm

I see you still haven't repaired the Kickstarter since cirencester. Have had mine running a couple of times now :D
thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by thunderbolt » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:22 am

Hi Andy, sadly not fixed the kickstarter yet, my jeep has taken priority of late (driving it at the Goodwood Revival tomorrow). However, I fully intend to take my bike to the Brooklands Military Vehicles Day on 17th November. Also, my mate is building a sidecar for his Matchless G3 and we are talking about taking both outfits to Normandy next year.