Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

NZ Rear frame

Post by Frank » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:32 pm

Hi,

At the NZ homepage it says: "In June 1940 the rear end of the bike was shortened with 40 mm (from frame number 582559), which lifted the rear seat with 4 mm."

I disagree with this and had a discussion with Nikola about this and he told me to put the theme on the forum for discussion.

I have measured severe NZ350 rear frames from 1938 to 1944 and they all have the same length (and height of the rear seat). The difference is the location of the passengers foot pegs holes. In 1940 they moved the passengers foot pegs 40mm forward (probably the adding of the panniers caused problems for the passenger legs, so they moved the foot pegs forward.

Any comments on this?

An other thing that should need correction:

"Initially it was planned that the sides of the gas tank should be chrome plated. Shortly before the launch of the new models on the Berlin Kaiserdamm-Exibition in February 1938 the use of chrome on motorcycle tanks was banned. DKW then decided to spray the sides of the gas tank with melted aluminium, which was then polished"

Both chrome and aluminium plated fuel tanks were used on NZ:s. At least NZ:s that were exported to the Nordic countries had chrome plated tanks, exhaust pipes, mufflers.

//Frank
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Re: NZ Rear frame

Post by Frank » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 pm

Hi,

Should be nice to get comments on this from some forum members who has seen many NZ´s: Panzergrau, Mila350, someone else??

//Frank
Motorboy13
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Re: NZ Rear frame

Post by Motorboy13 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi Frank , Aldo i can not confirm 100% on the info for the rear Frame , i also did no find /see any other difference than the footrest whole here on this part of the EU!!
and i have seen a lot of them passing last view years!!

May be the info is incorrect and is al about the footrest only??

Also is it possible that they measurement difference can be linked to that 300/3000 1943 rear suspension ?? NZ's (or the Jurisch rear Supension) ???

Just in for some ID's

greatings

Raimond