re-corking clutch

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

re-corking clutch

Post by thunderbolt » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi all, just re-corked my clutch and I made my own corks to precisely 7mm, all 94 of them! as specified in the parts list, so the four friction plates add up to 28mm exactly. problem now is the combined friction plates and clutch steel plates add uo to 35mm, and the clutch basket is only 30mm deep (from the base plate). Have I done something wrong, or is 7mm per friction plate too much?
any ideas?
cheers, Chris
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Re: re-corking clutch

Post by Frank » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:54 am

Hi Chris,

Seems you have to grind the discs down on a sanding table. I have some NOS NZ cork discs and their thickness are between 5,1-5,3 mm.

Greetings!

//Frank
thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by thunderbolt » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:44 am

Hi Frank,
Thanks once again, you confirmed what I wondered. Perhaps the 7mm refers to the three plate 250? I'm having the back of the clutch basket machined, and the kickstarter rachet bushed to suit in the hope I can start the bike again! I bought (rather foolishly in hindsight) a IZH 49/56 transmission set but none of the component parts would fit the DKW. I guess à VERY early IZH, circa 1945/46 might have worked, but parts for those seem more rare than the NZ!
At a recent military meeting at the famous Brooklands museum, there were ten German outfits, mostly zundaps and BMW, but only my DKW and a small DKW 100! Are you under a metre of snow yet?
Cheers Chris
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi Chris,

The clutch discs are identical on all alu engine NZ`s (250/350/500), the only difference is the amount of discs. Im not so good on IZH, but in my opinion a IZH 350/49 clutch with (simplex chain) up to some mid 50´s should fit on a NZ350/350-1 engine. The later IZH clutches with duplex chain will probably not fit.

Sadly many of the sellers selling those parts have wrong info of what they are selling, the headlines in their ads contains so many wrong search words, so you cant trust them.
Its the same on German ebay, IZH parts are DKW and almost every DKW part are Wehrmacht.
Of some reason I have not seen anyone selling DKW parts as IZH :lol:

I hope your repaired clutch basket will work out fine. Not so much snow yet, just some 10cm, so its perfect weather to work on my NZ500 project.

Have a good day!

//Frank
thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by thunderbolt » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi Frank, Took the discs down to about 5.2mm average and that has done the trick!
Thanks
Chris
thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by thunderbolt » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:29 pm

Done it! The machined clutch basket spigot and a new hardened bush in the kickstarter rachet has sorted the problem. Wish I'd done this first rather than buy the wrong bits off the Internet! My re-corked friction plates seem OK, but I've not road tested the bike yet.
Engine still not charging but I'll leave that battle for anther day! In contrast, my jeep is over charging! Problems with the voltage regulator - me and electricity are not good companions!