NZ350 gas cap with two stroke oil cup

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

mdunn
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

NZ350 gas cap with two stroke oil cup

Post by mdunn » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:46 am

I have a question for which i cant figure out. I have this gas cap on a 1943 DKW NZ350. On one side is the words in German how to mix the gas, understandable and I know they did this. But why is it written in English on the opposite side? Is this because the cap was for an export? I am going to assume the DKW NZ350 was never an exported bike and can only assume this cap was for a DKW NZ500 or something?

The next question is simple. The tank side pads, which model were these for? This is not NZ350.
Mike Dunn
Vintage German Motorcycles
www.vintagegermanmotorcycles.com
Wilhelm_Heidkamp
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Wilhelm_Heidkamp » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:46 am

The whole cap looks like a reproduction to me. Such caps were only made for the NZ 350-1 1944 to 45 and definitely not exported to anywhere. Also I miss the ribbing on the outer side of the cap where you normally grip it to open. And there is a strange rimp on the top of the measuring cup which can´t be found normally (Compare to the download section). And the English writing is very suspect. Especially 1 litre is not the same as a gallon. :?

Very nice bike, the head lamp is for the late NZ and the tank rubbers, (russian made, like the saddle, I think M72) starter and saddle are not NZ, aircleaner is missing but there is nothing else to find.
DKW F 102 1965
DKW NZ 350-1 1945
DKW KL C100/C1 Funkwuerfel 1943
DKW GG400 Funkwuerfel
daveydachs
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by daveydachs » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:57 pm

doesn't look like a reproduction to me. I have 2 caps like this, 1 came on my nz350/43 and the other I have bought since for my other 43. I think the writing on mine is just in German though. I'll go and have a look....
daveydachs
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by daveydachs » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Result, just found I've got 3 of these, not 2! Anyhow, they've all got the writing on both sides, but only in German (though you can barely see it on the rusty one, I promise it's there). I think these predate the more basic one for the 350-1 as they still have the embossed caps with the 4 rings etc etc

Hmm, just done some searching, according to the googlemachine 1 us gallon is 3.79 litres, 1 uk gallon is 4.55 litres so maybe this is for the UK market as that is the nearest measurement. the German measurement is also different on mine as it has the 0,1 litre stamp at the top. I would have thought a reproduction would at least try to copy an original.
mdunn
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by mdunn » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:36 pm

The cap is real, no question about it. I would put money on it, this is not a reproduction. I have to agree this cap probably is for another bike which was exported to the UK pre 1939 before the invasion of Poland.

Mike Dunn
mdunn
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by mdunn » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Wilhelm_Heidkamp wrote:The whole cap looks like a reproduction to me. Such caps were only made for the NZ 350-1 1944 to 45 and definitely not exported to anywhere. Also I miss the ribbing on the outer side of the cap where you normally grip it to open. And there is a strange rimp on the top of the measuring cup which can´t be found normally (Compare to the download section). And the English writing is very suspect. Especially 1 litre is not the same as a gallon. :?

Very nice bike, the head lamp is for the late NZ and the tank rubbers, (russian made, like the saddle, I think M72) starter and saddle are not NZ, aircleaner is missing but there is nothing else to find.
Hello Wilhelm,

I have gone though the bike and found allot of original parts on it. As i looked over the bike very close in detail i noticed Auto Union rings rings and DKW part numbers everywhere.The kick starter is original but what I want to know is how do i remove the metal plates under the tank side pads. They are bolted on and not even the same shape as the correct NZ350 plates which can be found under the rubber knee pads.

Look at the late war Panier bag mounts.

On the very last picture look at the RAL 1000 under the grau paint. Its everywhere on the bike. I also noticed they painted red primer on top of the original paint than shot the grau ontop of the primer.
Mike Dunn
welbike
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by welbike » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi all,

I have about 4 of these caps, but they are plain on top, so no text at all, rest is the same, but there's also another language on the measure cup! Ok, here some pictures, there's Polish? text, English english and USA English, they fit on a DKW, but what period/bike/make are they for?? they are not the same as Mike's

Lex Schmidt
Last edited by welbike on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
mdunn
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by mdunn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:47 am

welbike wrote:Hi all,

I have about 4 of these caps, but they are plain on top, so no text at all, rest is the same, but there's also another language on the measure cup! will take some pictures later on.

Lex Schmidt
Lex,

On another forum I am on a person had a very similar cap, look below.

Now that we have allot of confusion, who has the answear? Why is their English on the cap?
Mike Dunn
welbike
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by welbike » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Well, to cloud the issue with even more facts, some pictures of 2 original -1 caps, they are different to each other! I think the one with the ridge (left) is original, but not sure about the other, on both sides is german text.

Lex
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Very nice bike!

I have a tank cap on one of my DKW KS from 1938 with the normal Auto Union rings, inside the cap you can see two welded spots.

First when i Looked at the cap I did not understand why the welded spots seemed so rude and with so ugly finish (usually the overall detail quality is very nice on pre-war DKWs), but then I noticed that there has probably been a measure cup welded and someone has broken it away or it has vibrated loose so the cup is not there anymore.

I can not find a gas cap with a cup in the parts manual for this bike.Maybe some type of part that has been possible to buy separately/manufactured for some specific export markets???

I have to check out the bottom of the fuel tank if the cup is swimming there :wink:
Wilhelm_Heidkamp
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Wilhelm_Heidkamp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Remember what I said at the top:

1 US.liq.gal.
= 4 liquid qt. = 8 US.liq.pt. = 16 US.cup = 32 US.liq.gi. = 128 US.fl.oz. = 231 inch³ = 3,785411784 Liter

One Gallon is equal to 3,8 european litres, today it is based on metres, and equal to one litre, but not before 1945! Even if you compare the british imperial gallon, it is different:

1 Imp.gal.
= 4 Imp.qt. = 8 Imp.pt. = 16 Imp.cup = 32 Imp.gi. = 160 Imp.fl.oz. = 277,41945 inch³ = 4,54609 Liter

Then it would be 4,5 litres...

Just the little cup of two stroke oil in 3,8 or 4,5 litres would immediately destroy the engine! The information on the cups is nonsense....

I can´t find they are real and take them for some mix-up or reproduction.
DKW F 102 1965
DKW NZ 350-1 1945
DKW KL C100/C1 Funkwuerfel 1943
DKW GG400 Funkwuerfel
jakub petricek
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

tankdeckel

Post by jakub petricek » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Hello dkw fans ,

what about this one tankdeckel ? I have had on my dkw 350 nz - 1943 dated

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8840/p4250758.jpg

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/1280/p4250755.jpg

regards

jakub
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Re: tankdeckel

Post by martdapp » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:40 pm

Wilhelm has right,
Before 1945 the Gallon (American or Brittish) was not the same as a European Liter. But it says "Twice to 1 gallon" so it would not destroy the engine, in fact there is even more oil in the petrol then. But then,.......the script 1/25 doesn't match to what it says ?!?!
Martin
Last edited by martdapp on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme G
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by Graeme G » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:33 pm

Hi i could do with a cheap petrol tank cap if anyone has one. Cheers Graeme
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 am

Perhaps you could do with a Russian IZH 350-cap as shown by Welbike in this topic. They are mostly cheap.