Ribbed or Smooth Brake-drums on a NZ 350-1

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Ribbed or Smooth Brake-drums on a NZ 350-1

Post by martdapp » Thu May 26, 2011 2:14 pm

martdapp wrote:Jens 45 NZ-1 has ribs on the brake drums, which I had already suspected.
Then the discussion whether there were ever smooth drums, probably finally cleared up!
I'm going to look at pictures of the first IZH-series for what kind of brake drums they had.
As is known, the first series were almost identical to the NZ-1.
If the drums had ribs, than it is clear for me that smooth drums on the NZ-1 has never exicted !
What for? The matrices should be changed for it.
Let's see if I find out .....

It is clarified, the first IZH-series also had ribs on their drums!
So made with the same matrices as from the old German DKW-factory .
Only later came the smooth off the line.
If there were ever smooth Russian brake drums with DKW intitial or Stocknr. is possible.
The Russians moved after the war, the entire DKW-plant, including personnel 1000 km further east.
The first IZH-350 were identical to the NZ-1.
Only the headlights were different and the engine from Allu. instead of cast iron.
Even the Auto Union-logo and Stock-nrs were used in the pieces and parts catalog.
Logo, all came from the same matrices as 2 Years earlier from Germany.

So out with the wrong information about Smooth drums on the NZ-1 on this page.
Al the years that this discussion runs, has nobody reported smooth brake drums on his NZ-1. (with initial DKW-initials). The sand-colored drums shown on this page could be from a Mill.-IZH, delivered to Poland, they were all sand colored. I looked in the org. IZH-manual; the first series IZH-350 shows the brakedrum with ribs. It also had iron brakedrum-plates as just could be see on the first picture (rear brakedrum-plate also iron)
Martin

The picture wich could be found on this site "parts"

One of the first series IZH-350

A later version of the IZH-350 from1950. It has still the "old" frontfork but with smooth brakedrums but allumium brakeplates.

Image[/b][/b]
Last edited by martdapp on Fri May 27, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.