Site Admin
Site Admin

My NZ 350 - 1941

Post by Nikola D. Dimitrov » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:38 pm

1. DKW NZ 350
2. Manufacturing year - 1941
3. Frame number - 597233
4. Engine number - 1126405

5. My NZ 350 originates from the Bulgarian army, where these machines were used basically in operations against the anti-German resistance movement units during the war and as vehicles of the dispatch riders. Immediately after the war the German motorcycles were used for same purposes in the newly established People’s Army of Communist Bulgaria. They served as military vehicles for a period of 5-10 years after the war. In the beginning of 1950's, when the new Russian machines came - IZh and M75, the old machines were repainted in "civil" colors in the army service-stations, mostly deep blue, the engines and the electric systems were overhauled, the mileages of some of the machines (mine for example) were changed with new Czechoslovakian, made for Java motorcycles, and number of other small changes were made. But the most important change, made to the machines was that the rear ends of the motorcycle's rigid frames were cut and a rear plunger suspensions were fitted.

My grandfather – Nikola D. Vitkov, bought the machine in 1957. He rode the bike from this year until 1965, using it on short distances (no more than 100-150 km.) In 1965 the bike was sheltered in the garage and not moved and not even started for 30 years.

6. Images:

Image NZ 350 from Bulgarian Army 1940s.

Image My grandparents - 23.05.1960

Image The bike as it was after 30 years stand-still.

The bike as it looks now: Image

As one can see, my NZ 350 is not restored to it's original condition. Under the old blue paint we discovered the Bulgarian Army's green. On some small parts the green can still be seen:

DKW NZ 350 Website & Forum Administrator.