Normandy veteran!

If you own an NZ 350/350-1 bike please present it here

Moderator: Mods

thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Normandy veteran!

Post by thunderbolt » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:07 am

At last - here are photos of my bike! 1939 DKW 350NZ with a Stoye sidecar. Discovered in a military shop in Normandy this July, and brought back to UK in August. It is in excellent condition, and I think restored about 20 years ago. The desert colour is obviously not original but at the moment I am happy with the look. I have got the engine to fire, but not fully running yet, still need to sort out the carburettor.

Thanks very much to all forum members who helped me to identify and date my bike.

cheers,

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Re: Normandy veteran!

Post by martdapp » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:35 am

Hi Chris,

Looks great, but do yourself a favour and switch the rearlight for a correct light.
http://www.oldtimergarage.eu/catalog/pr ... ts_id=1432 has very good repro's.

Regards and good luck with the engine.
Martin
thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by thunderbolt » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks Martin!

My dad passed by Hoensbroek in January 1945! He was a despatch rider on a Norton 16H with the 3rd Btn Coldstream Guards. His war diaries showed spent Christmas 1944 in Houthem, then in January 1945 on to Brunnsum, Limburg, Tilberg, Nijmegen then Kleve in Germany. They finally crossed the Rhine at Wesel on March 26th 1945. He got as far up as Both Kamp near Kiel when the war ended.

cheers,
Chris
martdapp
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Post by martdapp » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi Chris,

I love diaries, I re-wrote 13 of them and shaped them with foto's and documentarie to little Jewels. The most I love the personal aspect.
Must look, I think I have a picture from a soldier on a Norton 1944 in Nuth, that is 2 km from here.

Regards,
Martin