About the site and your ideas

Moderator: Mods

m_wilby
Novize

Database

Post by m_wilby » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:13 pm

Hi all,
Two things:

• I noted that the database has some spurious data entries (Spam). Any way we can stop or monitor these?

• Also many of the dates of manufacture supplied by owners on the database do not correspond with the data we have. The data we consider to be accurate (in relation to the frame numbers and year of manufacture as supplied by DKW), is of course a guideline, accurate until proven otherwise by original dated frame plates.

I guess errors are made when entering the information on the website, some information entered is simply incorrect.
I’m sure many bikes have replacement frame plates which have been altered.

In order not to confuse, can we come up with an alternative way of displaying the data in the database? Allowing the information to be automatically ordered sequentially via frame number for example? With our ‘accurate’ dating information stated somewhere on the same page for example.

Since the data is published on our ‘official’ site, I’d like to see it as consistent as possible, any comments? I’m sure many entries are ‘to the best of the owner’s knowledge’ Maybe another method would be to vet the data prior to posting? Again any ideas or is everyone happy with what we have?

Regards Martin Wilby
Nikola D. Dimitrov
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Nikola D. Dimitrov » Tue May 02, 2006 10:49 pm

Hi,

the database is a problem indeed. We need someone with programming skills, if we want to have a more sophisticated database. I am not a programmer and understand very little from these things. The database, now online, is linked from the old hosting of the DKW site:

http://www.coretek.org/database.php

It's not controled neither by me, nor by Thomas, as we don't have permissions for the old server any more. That's why we can not delete the spam messages.

I have an idea - the submit form from the database will be removed and I can make a form, that sends e-mail from the website, and we can organize the whole thing on a new principle - the owners will submit their data via e-mail and after our approval the data will be included in the database.

Nikola
Last edited by Nikola D. Dimitrov on Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DKW NZ 350 Website & Forum Administrator.
m_wilby
Novize

Good idea

Post by m_wilby » Sun May 07, 2006 10:51 am

That sounds cool!

It's nice to see the new webpage up and running..
I'm glad to see it's in good hands :-)

Regards Martin