Incredible DKW NZ350 found

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

mdunn
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Incredible DKW NZ350 found

Post by mdunn » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:42 pm

I have seen alot of DKW's and German bikes but this is something everyone must see and maybe we can learn from it? Look at the speedo with the trip meter in it. This was found a couple of months ago ca 10km east of Warsaw together with the body of a Wehrmacht officer. The officer has since been buried with honors and the bike sold.

Mike Dunn
Vintage German Motorcycles
www.vintagegermanmotorcycles.com
mdunn
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Additional Info

Post by mdunn » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:48 pm

The mentioning of the officer corps clarified the last detail, to complete the data-set of the bike which maybe be the cause of end:

- vehicle: DKW NZ 350
- production: 1939
- total mileage: 4.300 km
- license: WH 29194
- owner: ground forces, district no.2, HQ base Stettin
- distance since last tankstop: 43 km

Production year plus total mileage seems to say, this is no relic from
end of war(1945), especially since the distance from last tankstop is less, than what the tankload was good for, the bike also was not given up for
draining of the fuel. But I can also not imagine, it is from Poland campaign in 1939 for what the mileage then is too large. Also the number of digits
in the license plates tells of time areas: 5 digits is middle war 40/41.

Collecting the observations so far and for the rare case, it was an officer,
who usually became driven rather than driving himself, it might be, the
occurance happened during Poland occupation - maybe around 1940
or the like - so that the end of the driver most likely was a partisan attack.
Mike Dunn
12345caravan
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by 12345caravan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:50 pm

Great how they're still discovered after 70 years!
This officer has been very well hidden....... :D
Who bought it Mike? You?
very nice.
RT 3ps 1936
NZ 350 1942 (nearly finished!)
RT 125/2A 1952
Harley Davidson WLA 1942
Zündapp KS600 1941 (new project,in resto)
VW Beetle 1956 (in resto 'till i'm retired...)
mdunn
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by mdunn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:28 pm

The bike was not purchased by me, i heard the story from the guy in Poland tell it. It was his friend who purchased the bike. This bike was found accidentally by farmer 40 km east (not 10km) from Warsaw.Luckly his friend bought it and he told the story about the bike and the driver buried together.The bike you already know about from the pics ,here is some more info about the driver.The driver was not dressed in kradmantel like the WH bikers use to. He was dressed in regular leather coat.There were such items found:dog tag,helmet goggles,iron cross,some other insignia,belt,boots ect.There was no weapons. The possible theory is probably some partisans shot him, took weapons (most needed) probably they took the ammo boxes and as you can see on one of the picture they cut the padlock and the took the tools.What he knows is they still have the items that were discovered with the soldier,but he can't get in contact with them because they are afraid the police will visit. Some one from that vilage inform the police that these particular people found something in the ground and in Poland we they have rules that everything what is under ground belongs to the goverment,so when the case will calm down he will try to contact them again. I have the guys email if anyone wants to talk to him the direct. it was his friend who purchase the DKW.
Mike Dunn
Wilhelm_Heidkamp
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Wilhelm_Heidkamp » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:14 pm

No idea on that speedo, quite interesting. I don´t have seen a comparable bike fitted with those speedos, and when a kind of that speedo is offered at Ebay, it goes always up to 140 km/h. May be a front fitted part, purchased directly by the Wehrmacht at P&S as substitute for a broken one. Nice bike in perfect original condition, it should be restorated with care.
DKW F 102 1965
DKW NZ 350-1 1945
DKW KL C100/C1 Funkwuerfel 1943
DKW GG400 Funkwuerfel
mdunn
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by mdunn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:34 pm

Wilhelm_Heidkamp wrote:No idea on that speedo, quite interesting. I don´t have seen a comparable bike fitted with those speedos, and when a kind of that speedo is offered at Ebay, it goes always up to 140 km/h. May be a front fitted part, purchased directly by the Wehrmacht at P&S as substitute for a broken one. Nice bike in perfect original condition, it should be restorated with care.
Wilhelm,

I have no idea as well but its very original, including the black paint on the speedo ring. If you look at the bike, everything is original and its a good bike to learn from. If I owned the bike I might just keep it in the same condition as its in and leave it viewing only? Who knows, its a incredible find.
Mike Dunn
jakub petricek
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by jakub petricek » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:53 am

Hi dkw fans ,

I found that this dkw is for sale here :

http://www.allegro.pl/item937128816_dkw ... nikat.html
pararigger
Assistant Mechanic
Assistant Mechanic

Post by pararigger » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:11 pm

I hope the owner does not restore the bike. It should be left in this condition. There are thousands of restored bikes but this is one of only a few. In my opinion it should go into a museum to preserve it. It tells it´s own story!!!!
Martins
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

gr8 found

Post by Martins » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:56 pm

It's a very interesting story. As i understood the bike was found under ground together with the dead soldier. From the condition of the bike, it looks like it's been in touch with the soil for years and the time tooth played it's role on motorcycle parts. It must be cursed then (ha.ha)
I can imagine the one's who found it - got surprised & the site was pretty scary :)
Does anyone know a story how exactly it was found ?

I know a person who own's Izh-350 [1950] still preserved in original condition, thou from the first view it seems to be restored :)
I'll post a picture later.

Martins
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Re: Incredible DKW NZ350 found

Post by Frank » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Check the speedo of this bike.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/DKW-NZ-350-bj-19 ... 2a1ad3ed7b

Looks very the same.

// Frank
thomas591
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Incredible DKW NZ350 found

Post by thomas591 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Very interesting also the original rubber cover above the carburettor.
Best regards - freundlichste Grüße

Thomas