Help? What is up with this engine?

Basic info on DKW NZ 350's

Moderator: Mods

jbhg007
Novize

Help? What is up with this engine?

Post by jbhg007 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:35 pm

I've rebuild at NZ350 (yes with an IZH cylinder! as mine had too many broken fins) but I can't get it running. Have a look at this link and read the full description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPLEWyF5Rz4

It just won't rev! and is driving me nuts.

Thanks, Julian 8-[
vankalker
Novize

Re: Help? What is up with this engine?

Post by vankalker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:53 am

There,s coming smoke out of de carburateur, so i think de ignition time is not correct.
Frank
SUPPORTER 2016
SUPPORTER 2016

Post by Frank » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi,

Have you checked the timing, so its 6,5mm before TDC, with fully opened flyweights?

http://www.dkw-nz.net/cms/upload/img_pd ... nition.pdf

Dont trust the old timing marks on the flywheel!

There can be many own markings stamped during the years, so the only correct way is to measure where the TDC and timing markings should be.

You dont need to dismantle the cylinder head, just remove one exhaust pipe and check/measure it through the exhaust port and if needed stamp new markings on the flywheel.

//Frank
jbhg007
Novize

Post by jbhg007 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:01 am

Hello, Thanks for your replies. I set the timing at 6.5 originally but will check again just in case. I also tried altering the timing whilst the bike was running amd it didnt make any difference. Ive ordered a new condensor and have reground the points and will try again. The engine isnrunning forwards too. Keep any thoughts coming and ill update this once solved!. Thanks
jbhg007
Novize

Post by jbhg007 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:36 pm

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the help so far but it's still not revving.

I've fitted new exhausts because the old ones were full of carbon and dented. I've also reground the points and changed the condenser and still no joy. The weird thing was though when I switched the main headlight on for a second it seemed to try and rev for a split second so I wobbled some wires and it revved for about 30 seconds. I have changed the area of wiring and but has now made no difference.

The other things I noticed where that while revving, the generator appeared to move in and out even though it's securely bolted and the the generator seems to get hot to the touch very quickly.....I'm wondering if there is some electrical problem? If so any idea what?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
thunderbolt
Tool Cleaner
Tool Cleaner

Post by thunderbolt » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:44 am

Hi Julian,

Frank's ignition tips worked for me, my bike runs a treat! But, I also have charging problems and my generator (armature) is away at a rewind company at the moment being checked. Also, re carburettors, I've been in contact with AMAL asking about gaskets and carb rebuild kits - here is their reply:

"The carburettor body specification number provided (M76/426) suggests a Fischer Amal ( a German version made under license).
As far as we know they didn’t change the dimensions of the gaskets used in our standard UK version."

Fortuntely for you and I the AMAL people are very close to us, here is their adddress for our overseas members:

Burlen Limited - The SU and AMAL Carburettor Companies
Spitfire House, Castle Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire. SP1 3SA UK
Tel: +44 (0)1722 412500 Fax: +44 (0)1722 334221 Email: customer.services@burlen.co.uk Website: http://www.burlen.co.uk

all best,

Chris
jbhg007
Novize

Post by jbhg007 » Fri May 06, 2016 11:19 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED! - (thanks to Frank) it turns out that the stator wires were in the wrong hole, causing a regular random misfire. The clue I think is that the charge light gets much much brighter when the engine is running. The engine now runs but the charge light stays on (just); so there must be another problem with the regulator, dynamo or voltage switch think. Thanks to everyone so far.